Celebrating Bin Laden’s Death Posted on May 11th, 2011 by

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/03/my-take-why-post-bin-laden-partying-made-me-cringe/

The different celebrations that happened the evening the US found out Bin Laden was dead was far and wide. Within this blog post, it is clear that there were many different emotions expressed from students across college campus’s. After seeing the images and the partying that was happening at these large schools, do you think that people are celebrating this in the polite/correct way? How might other countries feel seeing these images of college kid partying? Do you find these actions to be appropriate or inappropriate?

1. Danika Anastasi says:

‎”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” -Martin Luther King, Jr

I rejected the idea that our MayDay speaker proposed to Andrei, that he believed that he must have somehow repressed the joy he felt at Bin Laden’s death. I can understand how people would rejoice in the occasion if they truly believe that it has somehow changed our position in the current war, but I believe that Martin Luther King, Jr very clearly states an opinion that I share, that we should not rejoice in any death…not even the death of America’s number one enemy.

2. Kala Cermak says:

You bring up an interesting topic. When I saw the partying and cheering on TV, I thought it was too excessive. Yes, I understand why they are happy, it had taken ten or eleven years to find him, but I thought it was an inappropriate way to celebrate. I thought the partying was somewhat disrespectfully to all the victims of 9/11. Also what did we really gain with Osama’s death? Revenge….we should be finding out why he attacked us so that we may avoid further conflict.

3. Gina D says:

After seeing the events following the death of Osama I felt extremely indifferent. Although many people found joy and relief in his death I couldn’t help but think to the future and what this event will cause in our nation and our world. I have tried to put myself in the mindset of different and contrasting viewpoints in relation to the celebrations and still believe that there is a high threat that has stemmed from the death and the United States reaction will only increase that.